Sunday, April 5, 2009

Creatures that lurk int the night

There are worse things that happen in the middle of the night, but what happened last night seemed pretty bad. Our youngest dog, Abbott, got up to go outside, so I thought. Then I heard some strange thrashing noises coming from the kitchen or just outside of our slider. I flew out of bed and saw something about raccoon size flying through the kitchen and then it kept bouncing in our slider up and down. I started screaming at Abbott not to go near it, because I still wasn't sure what was in the house and what might be outside. My initial thought was that two raccoons were fighting outside the door and one ran in through the doggie door. Finally, everyone else came to the rescue to help me hold back the other two dogs that came to check out the noise. For some reason, my son opened his bedroom door and the thing ran in there. At that moment we were able to put our dogs in our bedroom and take a breath. We had to process the whole event in order to move onto getting "it" out of his bedroom. Once we looked in to see what "it" was, we realized he was just as scared as we were. It was a cat. He made himself at home in my sons bed, still breathing pretty heavy though, just as we were too. Now to get him out. He didn't want to budge. We were all afraid of him or her because we weren't sure whether it was a feral cat or not. So my husband and son used brooms to try and persuade him to leave. He was not having any part of it. He kept, somehow, holding onto the window and curtain. Finally my brilliance kicked in and I realized that if I take the screen off the window, all we have to do is open the window and he will go out. Not the case. Apparently, we needed to make sure the window was completely opened and then once we did that he ran outside.
It took us a good two hours to finally calm down enough to go back to sleep. I had to keep my focus on mentally writing my next essay in order to stay relaxed. Otherwise the what ifs kept creeping back into my head.
I am a little pooped and sore today, but everyone is safe and happy and that is all that matters!

No comments:

Post a Comment